An international destiny
The earliest traces of habitation date back to 6000 B.C. During the Gallo-Roman era the vicus was known by the Celtic name of Lousonna. From the end of the 6th century until 1536, Lausanne was a bishopric and a destination of pilgrimage. Until 1798 it was the seat of the Bernese bailiffs. When the Canton of Vaud was created as an entity of the Swiss Confederation, Lausanne became the cantonal capital in 1803.
It has been home to the main headquarters of the Federal Supreme Court since 1874 and of the International Olympic Committee since 1915. It was in 1973 that the first stone was laid for the campus of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. In 1993, the International Olympic Committee awarded it the privileged status of Olympic Capital. A city of learning, business and culture, Lausanne is established in the union of international cities today.
From antiquity to the medieval city
Some weapons, carved flint and hearths are the first signs of occupation on the site of Lausanne, by the lake (Vidy) but also on the hill, the future seat of the cathedral.
De la Réforme aux Lumières
The Reformation. Lausanne honoured the treaty of alliance, taking up arms to support the city of Berne, which had embraced Protestantism.
From the Revolution to the 19th century
The Revolution. The French Revolution of 1789 encouraged representatives of the local bourgeoisie to demand Vaudois emancipation.
Bureau de la communication
Secrétariat général CD
Escaliers du Marché
Réception au 1er étage
Case postale 6904
Phone +41 21 315 25 50
Fax +41 21 315 20 04
tl: Saint-François, Bel-Air
m1: Lausanne-Flon; m2: Riponne-M. Béjart