The Interwar Years
The Federal Law Courts
Built between 1922 and 1927, the strong, emphatic impact of the imposing Federal Law Courts were a striking contrast to the calm and greenery of its surroundings, the large Mon-Repos park.
Two huge wings stretch out on either side of a colossal portico featuring four columns overhung by a gable. The façades reveal a refined and meticulous neo-classical style, in line with the approach of the interwar years. In front of the building, an esplanade, access ramp and broad flights of stairs help to create a grave ceremonial appearance.
The courthouse was the work of architect Alphonse Laverrière (1872-1954), who designed the most important structures in Lausanne in the first half of the 20th century (e.g. the Chauderon Bridge, the railway station, the Bel-Air tower block, Bois-de-Vaux cemetery), in conjunction with Louis-Ernest Prince and Jean Béguin from Neuchâtel, the original winners of the competition. Like the portico, the interior of the courthouse reveals a wealth of sculpted and painted features in the Art Deco style.
Two modern wings were added to the building during its expansion between 1996 and 2000 by architect Fonso Boschetti. Located at the back of the building, the wings are a striking complement to the original structure, remaining in keeping with its size and reinterpreting the façade without appearing to compete with it.
Visits must be booked in advance.