Eglise St-François (Church of St. Francis)
The Church of St. Francis occupied the most spectacular spot in the Lausanne of the 1900s. Since the beginning of the last century it has been at the heart of the city, encircled by the General Post Office building, imposing banking edifices, department stores, and the crowds who pass by. Together with the Cathedral, this Gothic structure is the only medieval church left in Lausanne.
The construction of this church is linked to an important era in the city's development, in the 12th and 13th centuries. During this period, Francisan monks were called upon – as in many other European cities that were growing rapidly – to officiate at religious services.
The church, and the monastery adjacent to it, were buillt around 1270 at the southern extremity of the city. The construction of the church meant that the city wall had to be moved, so that it finally stopped against an outer wall of the church itself, at the level of the chancel (or choir). As a result, St. Francis has an unusual feature: the chancel is four-sided (an even number), the centre being a corner instead of a wall.
The bell tower dates from the beginning of the 15th century, and follows the same pattern as that of the Cathedral. In spite of various additions during the course of its history, the Church of St. Francis has never lost the harmonious simplicity that exemplifies the Fransiscan order.
Tous les jours: 09h00-18h30
Attention: horaires particuliers durant Lausanne Jardins
Du 20 juin au 28 septembre 2014: