Residence, Rue de la Mercerie 2
With its grey-painted façade, the house on the corner of Rue de la Mercerie and Place de la Palud is not in any way spectacular to look at. Nonetheless, restoration work carried out in 1999, which included an archeological dig, revealed something exceptional: the first two storeys are the remains of a house built in 1340-41.
This is one of the oldest private buildings remaining in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Its original structure can be traced from the clues left on the northern facade.
The ground floor, rising with the slope of the road, has two broad, arched openings. The first floor features two rectangular windows with crossbars, and is topped by a gable and a chimney. These elements give us some idea of the proportions of private homes in the Middle Ages. Based on the quality of this structure and its location, it is thought to have belonged to someone of importance – either a private person or an institution.
Another storey was added in 1390-1400, and another on top of that in 1556-57. The mansard roof was added in 1734-35. A number of further renovations, including replacement of the windows, were carried out in the 18th and 19th centuries.