The Post-war boom
The building houses the headquarters of the Vaudoise Insurance Company and is one of the most striking successes of post-war architecture in Lausanne. It was built between 1952 and 1956 by the internationally renowned Lausanne architect Jean Tschumi (1904-1962), who had a number of prestigious projects to his name, such as the Nestlé headquarters in Vevey and the World Health Organisation building in Geneva.
Located on the edge of a wooded park by the lake, the Vaudoise Assurances building comprises two wings set at an angle and a hall for its employees. The concrete framework allows variety in its façades in line with their exposure to sunlight and their proximity to the road. The north wing stands on a series of shaped pillars, giving the ground floor lobby a special plastic effect. The lack of walls in this space means that the view is unobstructed both for those inside looking out and vice versa.
The complex is marked by great attention to the design and choice of materials, from its foundations to the smallest of details, such as the door handles.
The building very successfully integrates a series of works of art resulting from competitions held in 1957 and 1958. On display are sculptures, reliefs, mosaics and wall murals by some of the most important artists on the Swiss scene at the time: Carlo Baratelli, Jacques Berger, Ödon Koch, Jean-François Liegme, André Ramseyer and Bernard Schorderet.
Find on the map
Bus: 1, 25 Cèdres