Located on Place de la Riponne, the oldest museum in Lausanne has a comprehensive and multicultural mission. On its four floors with well-sized rooms, its exhibitions are just as likely to feature the region’s young artists as the world of crystals, daily life in Roman times or the animals of the Bible and the Ancient East.
The heart of the cantonal museum
In 1841, thanks to the generosity of the painter Marc-Louis Arlaud and with the help of the City and the government, Lausanne opened an art museum and a drawing school under the same roof.
The museum has been part of the Palais de Rumine since 1906, but the school was there only until 1964, before moving to Avenue de Elysée, and then to Renens in 2007.
In 1997, after a long wait, the austere, finely restored neo-classic building discovered its true meaning and cultural mission. Under the name Espace Arlaud, it became the heart of the cantonal museums: art, photography, history, geology, zoology and coins, and the cantonal and university library, welcoming their temporary exhibitions.
With its incredible popularity, it also sometimes houses outside events in keeping with its cultural mission.