History: The origines of the Olympic capital
In 1915, Baron Pierre de Coubertin chose Lausanne as the base for the headquarters of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). «The Olympic spirit will find the pledge of freedom that it needs to progress in the independent and proud atmosphere that one breathes in Lausanne,» declared the reviver of the modern Olympic Games at the time. It was under the impetus of Juan Antonio Samaranch that Lausanne was later promoted to Olympic Capital, on 23 June 1994, to mark the centenary of the IOC.
There is only one Olympic Capital, and it is an incredible responsibility for a city of 130,000 inhabitants to bear a title that is the envy of the whole world. Proud of this title and conscious of its responsibility, the city council of Lausanne has spent years developing a proper policy worthy of this status, enabling the city to become the administrative capital of sport over the course of time.
Ideal framework conditions for hosting international organisations active in sport have been put in place in conjunction with the Confederation and Canton of Vaud. These have allowed the continual expansion of the network of international sport federations, major players on the Olympic scene – more than twenty at this point in time – to which can be added around twenty different organisations, such as the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Service des sports
Chemin des Grandes-Roches
Case postale 243
1000 Lausanne 18
Phone +41 21 315 14 14
Fax +41 21 315 14 19
tl 1: Stade olympique; 3: Mont-Blanc