Fontaine de la Justice (Fountain of Justice)
The striking Fontaine de la Justice animates the upper part of Place de la Palud. Linking the square with Rue du Pont and Rue de la Mercerie, it offers passersby vertical momentum, bright colours, a feeling of freshness and the sound of flowing water. It is a typical example of the Renaissance-style fountains one can admire in other Swiss cities.
The column and the statue were sculpted in 1584-85 by Laurent Perroud from Neuchâtel and his son Jacques, the former having passed away before its completion. Laurent Perroud built a number of fountains throughout western Switzerland. In particular he depicted Justice in Neuchâtel, Soleure and Moudon. The fountain in Lausanne features the typical blindfolded young woman bearing a sword and scales. The Pope, the Emperor, the Grand Turk and a magistrate are bowing in submission at her feet.
The ornamental central stack features a circular base with sculpted archways surmounted by a ribbed column decorated with acanthus leaves, coats of arms of the city and a garland held up by four muffles. A capital decorated with acanthus leaves and volutes tops the column off.
The stack and the column are copies, created in 1930; the originals are held in the Lausanne History Museum. The splendid spouts date back to 1557-59 and the dodecagonal basin was built in 1726.